humanity only learned to assume loveliness when Loveliness assumed the human form

Labels

Your Shoulder

How distant then was the warm scent of your collar, your dark blue sweater 
from the hem of the lace dress
that swept around my ankles as I fled, 
a theatre burning in my heart. 

You would have loved it there. 
Delicate installations gracing the little labyrinth 
colossal frames of seduction mounted on wrought walls—
my vain, alluring Gethsemane.  
It felt gorgeous. The din isolated me, but I didn’t mind. 
True to you in nerve and leg and corner of eye
I wove your portrait onto the landscape 
marking every spectacle before which I stood
with a prayer for you. The blissful thread of my musings
veining from room to room, vista to vista,
from the private point of view to the dance.
I sewed café to cliff,
rabbit hole to basilica,
vapour to stone. 

How distant then was the emotive bend of your mouth 
from the incision I laboured to mend. 
As I fumbled to plaster with pigments the surfaces
shattered by my aching,
I wondered if you had already enjoyed an afternoon coffee. 

I did not think that the tableau included me. 
The modern sensual was eclipsed by the hushed flagellant;
at once I discarded the culture of celebrating wounds
just because they never heal. In that medley of an arena
where dissonance defines gold
I lamented the distance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment